House Update No. 1: Our Bedroom Decor & Planning
Happy Friday! Today's post is an exciting one because it's my first official house update. Before I get into the post though I want to share that I'll be incorporating more house updates and little DIY projects here and on my YouTube channel so stay tuned for more coming soon.
Now back to the post at hand. Since we moved in we've been slowly but surely making tweaks here and there - nothing major but just enough to make it our own. If you remember from my first house post here, our bedroom needs the least amount of work so naturally it's the closest to being done.
What We've Done
So far, we've exposed the brick on the fireplace (it looks amazing!) and just need to have it repointed a little before having the molding touched up.
I'll be sure to share a complete before and after of the fireplace once it's done but for now, I'll leave you with a picture of how it looked when we moved in. So far we've also removed the bar across the corner and taken down the T.V. mount. Next on our list is to paint the entire room a lovely, crisp white and start decorating.
Decorating Inspiration & Color Palette
When it comes to decorating I have a very clear image in my mind of what I want the room to look like. One of my favorite things about the space is how light and bright it is thanks to two very large widows so I want to take advantage of that as much as possible. In order to do so I'm sticking to a light palette of creamy white, pale blue and antique brass and taking design cues from some amazing rooms I've collected on Pinterest.
What We Have & What We Still Need
When it comes to furnishing the bedroom we've slowly but surely been collecting pieces at antique shops, eBay, Etsy and craigslist alike and we're just about done! Below, is everything we have and a quick collage of it all together that I'm saving as an inspiration board as I collect a few more things.
- White, antique wrought iron bed
- Small, marble topped dresser
- Taller wooden dresser with brass hardware
- Gorgeous, antique brass candlesticks - I'm going to include these in another home decor haul video coming soon
- Botanical prints that I shared in my last home decor haul
- Lovely pale blue glass bottles - also featured in my last home decor haul
- A small selection of antique books that you've seen in the background of so many of my videos and posts
- What I'd still like to add is the following:
- small side tables
- white, airy curtains
- brass or white iron curtain rods
- table lamps
- a great mirror for above the small dresser
- wingback or accent chair for the space next to the fireplace and a small table or bookshelf to turn that area into a reading nook
- a chandelier like the one we got for the living room
- some more artwork like a great oil painting or two to go above the tall dresser
Below, I've embedded some of the items featured above but I also want to share some of the places that I actually shop for home goods. First up, Etsy. I LOVE Etsy for everything from decorative books (these, these and these are some of my faves) to door knockers, botanical prints (like these and these) and vases. The supplies here are genuinely endless and I've been so inspired by them lately that I'm going to be adding some great finds to my own shop soon.
Another of my favorite online destinations for unique and beautiful home goods is eBay. I love hitting eBay for everything from candlesticks to oil paintings and find it particularly great for finding amazing pieces at an incredibly low price. The only catch is that you need to be prepared to search when shopping on eBay but the effort is definitely worth it in the long run.
Before I go I'd love to know what your decor sources are? Where do you love to find amazing pieces that round our your room? Let me know in the comments down below and I hope you have a great weekend!
Until next time,